Saturday, February 17, 2007

Board Volunteer?

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Water Shut Off Today for #3000 Building":

Who Wants To Be On the Board

When I got the "Call for Volunteers" message, I thought I might go ahead and volunteer to be on the ballot to become a board member. I have a BS in Accounting, and I thought that maybe I could make a positive contribution to this community.

Before I did, I made a few calls to Diversified's team and spoke with a few long term residents here as well as 2 former board members. I wanted to look before I leap, in other words.

What I discovered was shocking. Not one person, not one, had anything positive to say about the current Board, or it's president, Rene Fernandez. The common thread that ran between all of the talks was that there was not one aspect of the management and administration of Parkridge that is better today than it was a year ago. I could go on for ages about issues like rule enforcement, the pros and cons (mostly cons) of the "communication form" and such, but I thought that most of that was subjective at best and petty personal opinions at worst.

In terms of money and financial matters, which is my area of expertise and has a direct effect on all of us and provides an objective method to evaluate the Board, the "previous" HOA Board had around $100,000 in reserves and operating accounts at the end of last fiscal year, March 2006. That's not fantastic, but it's not too bad either. At the end of the month in January 2007 the "current" HOA Board had around $35,000. This is NOT good.

Now I understand that we had the laundryroom/meeting building re-piped which cost over $32,000 between Pro-Serv and the drywall guy, and I assume that's where half the differnce in reserves went to. The problem is that it is the duty and responsibility of the Board to replenish the reserves when it becomes necessary and the leadership of the current Board has not shown any inclination to do so.

If we need to raise the monthly assessment or have a one-time special assessment or soem combination of the two to do so, then that is clearly what needs to happen. The comment that was made by one of Diversified's staff was that it looked like Mr. Fernandez was going to drain it dry and then quit. Again, I thought that was a personal opinion, but now I'm not so sure.

As I mentioned earlier, I could write reams of criticisms about the current HOA Board of Directors, but for now, I'm afraid I'm just going to deal myself out of the running to become a Board member. By the way, as of last week, only 3 owners have expressed an interest in remaining or becoming Board members.

B.S.S.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ATTENTION SMOKERS!!!!!

What makes you think I want to inhale your smoke? Here's an idea ..why dont you stay inside your own condo, close the windows and smoke your cancer sticks..that way you kill yourself and no one else.....and if you say well I have a roommate, partner or kids so I go outside..why dont you send them outside and you stay indoors...either way they still have to smell your second hand smoke whether it be from your clothes or inside your condo..but at least the rest of us dont smell you!!

Anonymous said...

It's my understanding that if our community cannot come up with a minimum number of board members, governance of Parkridge and the HOA will be taken over by the State. I think most people who are qualified and would do a good job as board members are leery of who they would be serving with and under. Obviously a competent person on an ineptly run board will not be able to make much of a difference. Anyone ready to organize a take over???

Anonymous said...

It's sad to know that many people do not like Mr.Fernandez I personaly feel the same way.My mistake was knocking at his door and ask for help I never walked through his gate like he did when looking for votes in the past election.I just hope that the whole Rene think will take care of itself soon.Any volunteers? Golda N.in 126

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to put in a word of praise for Kelly Thompson who has served on the board for several years. She has been a great resource, has worked hard to understand the responsibilities of the board and is very active in trying to get things done around Parkridge. I have really appreciated her leadership and her presence on the Board.

Kirsten #56

Anonymous said...

I do pay attention to the comments and this is an answer to the one above,about the smoking.Please acceept our apologies.I understand that it's not very nice and not my intention either to create an unhealthy environment,truly sorry.#126

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

In response to who wants to be a board volunteer...I think its a hard job and there will be few people who will want to submit themselves to having to deal with so many complaints. So I thank the current board members and all those who are thinking of volunteering b/c its a tough job to do..I wouldnt be able to do it.

In response to the person who put the Smoking Complaint..have you ever thought to close your windows ?? I am pretty sure that would solve your problem...maybe you should put your unit # b/c we like to barbecue.. so we are starting to think if you live near us you might not like our smoke either...and why did you complain under the board volunteer section??? unit#125

Property Manager said...

Reminder that you can not longer post comments that are cruel or mean spirited. Add a recommendation, suggestion or humor.

Anonymous said...

It appears that there are 6 candidates for the Board elections. For all those that haven't liked the way things have been this past year, please cast your votes for the 5 canidates running against Rene. Getting him out is the only way for things to be changed.

Google

I swithched from Internet Explorer to Firefox