Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Conventional Ear

I don't read many blogs because it's hard for me to get past the attitude and digest the relevant content. I was excited to see the Parkridge blog address sheets by the mailboxes. Unfortunately, the tone of this blog reminds me of most blogs I encounter: all black and blue from venting - just basically expressing anger and frustration and not exactly mature. Nothing wrong with that, but I was hoping to find more constructive and enlightened criticism. Or something. Oh, brother - I'm just complaining myself.

I think René has a lot to learn about dealing with people face to face in his new role. I felt a little embarrassed for him a couple months ago at that really long meeting. I think he was being too defensive of his role or something - and not just admitting that he could have handled the situation better, or just apologizing for how things turned out. I'm referring to the people who left the pool area gate open for someone to get back in and how that turned into what seemed like an ugly incident.

But, my gosh, at least there is a system in place for accepting what must be hundreds of complaints, suggestions, ideas, etc. I wish there was an Email version of the communication form - currently, you have to write something out and fax or mail it in, or wait until one of the monthly meetings. That kinda sucks.

As for the expired tags, as I understand it, no one is calling the police, but reminders are being posted or delivered somehow in cases of expired or almost expired tags. When you hear the COMPLAINTS of residents who CAN'T PARK at night, it's seems completely reasonable to me to begin to take this sort of action.

Washing cars. You can wash your car. But if you leave it unattended in the garage area of the driveway, that's against the rules. If you do it a lot, you'll get fined. What's the big deal there?

Dogs. Your dog can get hurt if it's off the leash, by running away, getting swiped by a cat, or by another dog. You have to pick up after your dog - it's no fun to pick up or step in the shit of other dogs, let alone that your own pet. Again, I don't see what the big deal is if you get fined for repeatedly ignoring the rules and regulations.

I am concerned about the competence of those actually processing these notifications and fines. I received one once that was inaccurate - it stated that I had received a notification of violation when I had not. I had to write back and make it clear that the record has to be set straight before anything else. I have heard of others who seem to be receiving notifications of violation that someone else has committed. Maybe if anyone on the board is reading this they can do something about it. Of course, the official response is to fill out a communcation form. I'm thinking about becoming an official communication form completer so that people can just come to me and I'll write out what they're complaining about and send it in. Not everyone is good at filling out forms, even when they have a legitimate complaint.

I sort of understand the Hitler thing, but it doesn't help any of us to look at it that way. Expressing it is your right, but it's pretty annoying to read it, in my opinion. Especially since this board is actually visibly doing things. If they make mistakes, let them know about it. Participate in "the system", because there is definitely one in place now. You can just expect your problem to be solved the day after the meeting, because there are so many problems that people have. I don't think the board created the problems, but they are the only ones stepping up to do anything about it.

I don't know if it's going to work, but the good thing is that there is a system or process in place to participate in, and you can easily point to the board if they don't follow up within the system they themselves are promoting and implementing.

I hope this blog can somehow become a place where people can go to actually learn about how things work, either with the board, with our plumbing which has been causing unacceptable problems for years now, with security, etc. We need to inform each other, not just call Rene names and say we don't like him.

8:16 PM
Conventional Ear said...

Sorry: I meant to write: You can't just expect your problem to be solved the day after the meeting, because there are so many problems that people have.

8:20 PM

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point Conventional Ear. I have not had run its with this "leader" character. Obviously he is not going to win any popularity contests nor does he seem to have a long term political plan with all of the anger he stirs. People should be able to vent here but we could take the banter up a notch with information to help eachother. I have seen our president take down these blog notices near the mail boxes so it is not much of a leap to conclude he prefers this not exist. It is even less of a leap to presume he is monitoring this closley. So I challenge you Mr. Board President...chime in anytime an explain why you try to squash this open exchange of information.

Anonymous said...

Whew...The blog is getting more mature!
Whoever started this blog, I say approach the board if you have any sort of Web site design knowledge, because your idea of putting the Communication Form online is a good one. I say we need to start a Web site.

And it IS in the CC&R's that we can't post signs by the mailboxes. Maybe we need to start a petition to loosen that rule, because if we can put emergency signs up for plumbing issues, we should be able to for this.

Anonymous said...

I think everyone has the right to not put their name nor where they live. The person who made this blog isn't even identifing themselves. Coward or not, call it what you want. This is one place where there are no rules, we don't have to put where we live, nor our name.

Anonymous said...

This blog is a safe way to input constructive ideas and opinions. I am glad to have a way to state my opinion that is both safe and easy (opposed to writing a formal complaint etc..). I'm sure Rene and other members of the board are doing the best that they can, however, every leader needs the constructive community input. So parkridge how can we make this community a better place for everyone? Thank you for speaking your constructive opinion hopefully the board members will use this blog as a tool to better the community.

Google

I swithched from Internet Explorer to Firefox